The Canadian Drug Policy Coalition will be celebrating its second anniversary this November. As part of celebrating our successes we want to engage the world of communications in a bigger way. CDPC has a strong national and international network, a significant traditional and social media footprint and two groundbreaking publications, Getting to Tomorrow and Changing the Frame, that call for a new approach to drug policy in Canada. We know that CDPC has had an impact. Now we want to take it to the next level and we want your help to do this.
Who we are
We are a national network of organizations and individuals working to improve Canada’s drug policy and end the war on drugs internationally. Based at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver we work in four areas:
1) Policy advocacy,
2) Public education and dialogue,
3) Coalition building, and;
4) Advocating change internationally.
We work nationally and internationally with a unique focus on North American drug policy and seeking alternatives to the war on drugs in Mexico, the US and Canada as a pivotal achievement in global drug policy.
CDPC has created a significant community for change over the past two years and is part of a vibrant international network working towards drug policies that are based on public health and human rights.
We want to broaden our reach, accelerate change and find new ways to grow the movement for humane drug policies.
• You see a future in which the war on drugs is over – a time when people understand that substance use is a part of human behaviour and strategies to address harm related to drug use are built on principles of public health, evidence, human rights and social inclusion.
• You will play a leadership role in communicating complex issues related to drug policy to the public, those who craft policy, and those who make the decisions.
• You will work to broaden networks and bring new constituencies into the movement to create a new drug policy for Canada.
• You will find and engage others within the international network that can help CDPC work towards reform at the global level.
Who you are
• You are a leader, have a talent for communicating complex issues, a passion for building networks and engaging the public.
• You enjoy engaging media outlets, writing press releases and pushing content out to a broad range of traditional and social media platforms.
• You have a strong grasp of social media and digital strategy and have the technical skills to maintain a WordPress website.
• You have been involved in digital campaigns and understand the importance of meaningful engagement of supporters. The back end of campaign software doesn’t scare you.
• You are skilled at research, writing, editing and producing materials including promotional materials for print and web-based contexts.
• You can manage multiple projects at the same time and work well within an international community of drug policy change agents.
How to participate
Explore drugpolicy.ca to learn more about the Canadian Drug Policy Coalition and follow the instructions below:
1) Tell us about yourself and your ideas to help us take the next step in communicating our work. Have fun and be creative!
2 )Send us a short (60 second max) “selfie” cell phone video telling us why you are the right person for this challenge. Nothing edited – glitzy is not the goal – just a quick intro to let us know why this work matters to you.
3) Send us your CV.
Please send all materials to email@example.com. We’ll take a look at all submissions that get to us before December 20th, 2013 at 12:00 midnight Pacific Standard Time.
This position is a contract position, starting at 3 days per week at approximately $30/hour. Ability to communicate in French and/or Spanish is an asset.
The CDPC Communications Challenge Team